Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Autumn Has Finally Arrived

Autumn is my favorite season of the year for many reasons. First, I love the cooler weather. Crisp, clean air with a hint of woodsmoke. Brings to mind books by Laura Ingles Wilder and poems by Robert Frost. Makes me want to watch You've Got Mail and episodes of the Gilmore Girls.

I love all of the school events that happen in the fall. I work in an elementary school and nothing thrills me more than all of the pumpkin / turkey / pilgrims / cornucopia displays outside of our classrooms. The school cafeteria begins to occasionally serve us a full Thanksgiving dinner, just because they love us (and are trying to secretly fatten us up).

I love the colors of fall: dark green, rust (yes, that's a color), and brown. My mom used to fuss at me for wanting to wear only drab, "natural" colors as a kid. She thought I should be wearing more pastels but I wanted to dress like a park ranger. And because my parents put me on a budget at age twelve, I had complete control over what I spent my money on and therefore, what I wore. I have a feeling that my mom retained secret veto power, but as a kid, it was a heady feeling to pick out and pay for all of my own clothes. More about the budget later.

Back to the season....

I love the crunch of the leaves in the yard. Almost makes me want to rake. When I was a kid, living in East Tennessee, we used to pile the leaves up in a ditch and burn them. That smell will be forever etched into my memory. This time of year makes me miss living in the country.

But I'm glad I don't live in the country anymore because I love going to the mall this time of year. The major department stores are already decorated for Christmas, complete with trees, big red velvet bows, and twinkle lights. Starbucks is serving pumpkin spice and peppermint mocha lattes in the red cups. People are still generally polite due to the fact that there are still eight weeks of shopping before Christmas.

I look forward to spending time with family and friends during the holidays. I look forward to sleeping in (that is, if my children will let me) and wearing my sweats all day long. Today is a foretaste of those glorious vacation days. We don't have school today (Election Day) and I've spent the entirety of it (even when I went to vote) in my pajamas. God bless America.

Last but not least, my awesome church (12 Stone) always does something amazing for the community during the holiday season. We find out what this year's project is at the end of the month and I can't wait to see how we are going to bless the people of this community this year. When I think about all the things I love about this time of year, I am reminded of just how blessed I have been. I hope that I never take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful

Dear Senator Collins (and McCain), My seven year old son Caleb has cystic fibrosis and I want to THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for...