Friday, December 3, 2010

Something I Don't Understand

I am not a good driver. Many people in my life have been very candid in sharing with me my lack of driving skills. I suppose it is the fact that I am too aggressive. I like to drive fast. I don't mind passing on the right or the left (and once, when I was pregnant and really had to pee, in the middle turning lane). I have been known to tailgate. And if I have to spend more than 30 minutes in traffic, I need a stiff drink to calm down when I get to my destination.

Since becoming a mother I have worked very hard to improve my driving skills. When my children are in the car, I (usually) leave two car lengths between me and the car in front of me. I don't run through a light when it's "orange." And I don't speed (much). But when I'm alone in my car, I can't help but indulge in my need for speed.

I have to drive down a four lane highway on my way to and from work. Most mornings I am content to drive along with the rest of the people using that particular stretch of road. But every now and then, two cars will go exactly the same speed in the left and right lanes (which is usually about 5 miles below the speed limit). AND THEY WILL NOT MOVE. A long line of cars forms behind both, people clearly trying to get somewhere within a certain time-frame, but these two cars just keep poking along at a glacial speed, single-handedly raising the blood pressure of dozens of drivers.

Why do people do this? They have to know that the rest of us want to get around them. It is not hard to move over and let others go by. And if you need to pass, then pass and MOVE BACK OVER. I mean, dang. It's enough to make me completely nuts.

Can I get a witness? Or should I just put on my big girl panties and get over it?

2 comments:

  1. I'll give that a hallelujah and an amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no big girl panties needed... i am 100% in agreeance!

    ReplyDelete

Thankful

Dear Senator Collins (and McCain), My seven year old son Caleb has cystic fibrosis and I want to THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for...