Monday, January 24, 2011

Not Winning Any Awards...


Here is how I know I won't be winning any "Mom of the Year" awards:

  • Joshua's Legos have completely taken over our dining room. You can't even eat at the table, there are so many Legos. We are now calling the dining room "Joshua's office."
  • It really doesn't matter that we can't eat at the dining room table. We don't eat any meals together, and we rarely eat at a table.
  • We almost never eat the same thing for dinner. Darrell generally fixes his first dinner around 3:00pm when he gets home from work and his second dinner around 7:00. I usually fix myself something to eat around 5:30. Caleb eats his baby stuff, and Joshua usually requests a PB&J at some point in the evening. The weekends are even more disjointed.
  • We leave the TV on so long that the auto-shut-off turns it off.
  • We allow our 5-year-old to watch YouTube (ok, so it's only Lego stuff, but still).
  • We almost never make Joshua pick up any of his toys, and we routinely let him build complex train tracks in the foyer and down the hall upstairs. And then we leave them there for days. And we expect any guests to just step over them like we do.
  • There is no set bedtime at our house.
  • I do not ascribe to any laissez-faire, nature-loving, free-spirited philosophy of parenting. I am just lazy.
The real kicker is that Joshua is a well-adjusted, happy, well-behaved kid (for the most part). He talks to adults and kids alike, and he's very easy-going. He's a delight to spend time with (unless he's grumpy). So, I guess I'm not messing him up too badly! And as much as I'd like to resolve to be more organized, disciplined, etc., I think it's safe to say that won't be happening anytime soon. I would probably feel less overwhelmed if I had more of a schedule, but the thought of making the schedule wears me out. So I guess that won't be happening either. Oh, well. Here's to motherhood!

3 comments:

  1. I loved this blog so much I wish I could hug you right now!!! It truly is real life. You can have all the rules in the world but I guess it is the outcome that matters. Joshua and Caleb just cannot marry super organized women!! Love you my daughter.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I'm sitting down to (finally) send our family's year-end letters and cards and saw your blog printed at the bottom of your kind card. Enjoying a rare moment of free time while my two-year-old naps, I checked it out -- and I'm hooked! I really appreciate the humor and insight of this post, and I'm really glad to know this is a blog I can check every so often to catch up on your family. (I blog, too, but not very frequently these days.) All the best with the medical dramas... Look for something in the mail from us soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post.....and I am so happy that I am not the only mom like this!

    ReplyDelete