Friday, February 4, 2011

Jeopardy (or the Big Nerd that lives at my house)

Sitting here watching Jeopardy, I am reminded of how I used to intentionally make my sister think I was a genius. My dad had a laptop for work (back when laptops were the size of washing machines) and on it was a Jeopardy computer game. I discovered that if you played the game up to "Final Jeopardy" and then turned the computer off, the next time you played it would be the exact same game (I think you know where we're going here). So I would play the game up to the end, turn the computer off, and then find my unsuspecting little sister and invite her to play with me. Since I rarely invited her to play anything with me (especially where she wasn't required to be my servant, the student, or a secretary), she was usually more than happy to accommodate my request. The rest is relatively easy to guess; she was amazed that I knew the gross national product of Lichtenstein and the scientific name of the dung beetle. I know, I'm pathetic.

As an adult, I watch Jeopardy almost every night. It is the only show that I will stop what I'm doing to watch. I love the feeling I get when I know an answer that none of the contestants knows. Never mind the fact that I'm sitting in the comfort of my own home with absolutely no pressure to know the correct response. Never mind that there is no chance I'm going to win any money due to my intellectual prowess. Never mind that I am not risking humiliation in front of millions of Americans if I don't happen to get categories that I am knowledgeable about (do millions of Americans watch Jeopardy?) I sit on my couch and make fun of how "dorky" the contestants are while they're "chatting up" Alex Trebec (hello. you're watching Jeopardy, you big nerd.) And then I race Darrell to see if I can answer before he does. It doesn't matter that he's not playing. And heaven forbid I get the final jeopardy question correct. The gloating is, I'm sure, unbearable. Darrell just tunes me out.

I'm not sure why I felt it necessary to write a blog entry about this topic. It's not something I'm proud of (although if you happen to be at my house while Jeopardy is on, you might beg to differ). The Jeopardy Tournament of Champions is my Super Bowl. I am a big nerd. It's part of my charm.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. For the Friday night laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND an original member of the Geek Club, I might add!!!

    ReplyDelete