Thursday, July 23, 2015

Test Results and Summer's End

The results are in - Caleb's liver function is normal and stable after three months on Kalydeco. Hallelujah! His most recent throat culture was clear of scary CF bugs, another cause for celebration! We added Flovent to his daily regimen in May and then lowered the dose as springtime allergies abated. He seems to be tolerating these new medicines very well and has been healthy all summer.

Our family took several mini-vacations this summer and in a lot of ways it felt like the first "real" summer vacation since Caleb was born. We visited with family and caught up with old friends. We stayed up late. We binge-watched Netflix and chased lightning bugs. Caleb went to his first in-the-theater movie. Joshua learned to play golf. Swimming was the favorite past-time, no matter where we were. 

As summer comes to a close, I find myself noticing subtle differences in my children. It is as if the fast-forward button has suddenly been pushed and I am breathless with the speed at which they are growing. Parenting is not an easy job, but it is worth every difficult moment. In times of quiet reflection, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for this life I get to live. Despite all of the economic and political unrest in our world, I can't help but believe that our future is bright and full of promise. Every new encounter brings with it an opportunity for kindness, encouragement, and hope. 

I choose hope.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful

Dear Senator Collins (and McCain), My seven year old son Caleb has cystic fibrosis and I want to THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for...